I love color. It shows in our home, our garden, my clothes, and my knitting. The bolder, the better. I have been bringing home color chips in the hopes of finding a color to make a change our terracotta walls. So far nothing has jumped out at me. I came across a great color project, brainchild of a French paint company. Watch the video. It made me look at wall colors in a whole new light.
Next top; Istanbul to paint "Ayrilik Cesmesi Sokagi”, translated "The Fountain of Departure" street.
Buying gifts for Father's Day becomes an ever increasing challenge them ore the years go by. Thanks to Woot, I've discovered new and inventive gift giving ideas. I check the site daily and, much to my delight found this gem just in time for June 20th. Don't worry, I was also intrigued and couldn't figure it out first glance. It looks like the Death Star with a twist. This is an ECOmposter and it promises to turn our stack of newspapers, piles of kitchen scraps, and bags of grass clippings into compost. It came in a very small box and took hours to assemble.
Not easily discourage, Erik and I tackled the job and soon added our dreck to the ball. So far, so good. I have my neighbor involved. She will be adding the carbon elements since we no longer subscribe to a newspaper. Our compost will be enriched with high class New York times and Wall Street Journal brown matter.
I couldn't resist including a plug!
Father's Day breakfast featured our favorite pancakes. these are a little labor intensive, but so worth making. The blueberry syrup is well worth the effort, so much better than the bottled stuff! Enjoy!
Sour Cream Pancakes
1/2 C sour cream 1/2 C skim milk 2 large eggs, separated 3/4 unbleached flour 1 t baking powder 1 T sugar salt 1/2 C butter, melted
Mix sour cream and milk, pour over egg yolks in a medium size bowl, whisk together. Sift flour together with baking soda, sugar, and salt and whisk into egg mixture by tablespoonfuls. Add butter and stir until smooth. Whisk egg whites until stiff, not dry and fold into batter. Over medium heat, heat griddle or frying pan. Brush lightly with oil and drop batter by the tablespoonful. Brown and turn.
4 C blueberries 3 C water 2 strips lemon peel 3 C sugar
Put the blueberries in a saucepan, crush with a potato masher. Add 1 cup water, lemon peel, and simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes Strain into a cheesecloth lined stainer and squeeze to extract all the juice. Discard pulled. Combine remaining 2 cups water and sugar. Boil and stir until mixture is clear. Boil until mixture reaches 260 degrees Add blueberry juice, boil for 1 minute. Cool syrup and add a few drops lemon if desired. Pour into 1 pint jars and refrigerate.
My stash seems to grow much faster than I can process it. I have 154 items logged into Ravelry. That does not count the few miscellaneous balls of yarn that I can't seem to identify, nor the balls of remnants that I have housed in an old sweets container. A rough calculation, although ambitious, supposes that I knit a project per month. That has me knitting non stop for the next 13 years. By conservative calculation, stash now exceeds life expectancy. I have to cull the heard, and put yarn acquisition on hiatus. Cataloging my stash on Ravelry has allowed me to play around with the various methods of sorting my yarn. For example, I love sorting by color, so pretty. When I am looking to knit from the stash and have a specific pattern in mind, I will sort by weight and hope that I have the required yarn to meet the needs of the project. Since knit a lot of socks, this has not bee much of a problem. I have also managed to find patterns and place them into my Queue and then attach a stashed yarn to the project. This make me feel superior and organized. Unfortunately, I easily stray from that plan by casting on something that is not scheduled, or queued. My latest method of working through the stash is to organize it by date added. This places all yarn in chronological order with the newest item at the top and the chestnuts at the bottom. My plan is to knit up...from the bottom of the stash. I have some lovely chestnuts that are begging to become something, anything. Having said that, I was able to turn some two year old yarn into a beautiful shawlette. I found Keiran Foleys shawls in the Ravelry database. My first purchase was Emily Dickinson. The light gossamer fabric and the beads really appealed to me. I also purchased Teardrop for its repeatable pattern, its simplicity and elegance. My choice of yarn was Knit Picks Shadow in Basalt that languished in the bottom of my lace bin. After many false starts, I was able to get the first few rows down pat. The beaded row tripped me up. I didn't have the correct crochet hook size to place the beads so I prestrung and knit away. That was a disaster because the knit fabric is so airy, the beads tended to wander, spoiling the symmetry. I tried using a dental floss threader to thread the beads and that, while successful in bead placement, was a huge chore. I finally had an excuse to make the 20 mile trip to our local LYS for a 1 mm crochet hook and what a difference that made.
Here is the finished product. I used every yard of yarn, knitting 14 repeats. Blocking was a breeze and th shawl was dry within 15 minutes of laying in the morning sun. I love this shawl and took it out to dinner and a walk along the Indian River. It's neutral, light, and sized just right for pocket or purse. Next up, a couple of sock skeins that date back several years. Socks That Rock Silkie and Yartini, shake of the dust, 'cause I'm going for a stash dive and you're up.